Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Reverse Culture Shock

Emily here, writing from Minneapolis. I've been here since Friday for a National Cancer Institute conference, and after just 3 months in Italy, it sure is strange to be back in the States. Part of this may be that I am in MN, not CA, my home state, but still, I am having a hard time adjusting. Here are a few of the things I am noticing.
--Diversity. In Italy there are certainly straneri (foreigners), but nothing like in the melting pot. Am I going crazy though or is it true that downtown Minneapolis is actually extremely diverse? Either my perspective has changed, or I had a stereotype about this area being more homogeneous than it really is.
--Religious zealots preaching and witnessing on the street. Today there was a group canvassing the area by my hotel. We're talking megaphones and "Fear God" signs. Haven't seen this type of thing in Italy, though I have seen some fiesty political activists.
--Portion sizes and combinations of food. The food is unappetizingly large. Not that I didn't know this before, but I am noticing it more now. Also my stomach isn't adjusting so well to all of the many different flavors mixed together. I walked by a Chipotle and saw a guy eating a huge burrito, accompanied by both a beer and a carton of milk. Milk and beer? Also on the breakfast menu for room service there is a section called "Caffeine" and included along with coffee drinks is Red Bull. Is there a sizeable contingent who drinks a Red Bull in the morning in lieu of coffee?
--Megastores. I went in a Target, which actually was a "Super Target." I didn't know there were Super versions of Target like Walmart, where there is a small grocery store inside. I was struck by how many meals in boxes there were. Also, the lights in the freezer cases were on motion activated sensors so they light up only when you walk by. In Italy I haven't yet seen stores where you can find clothes, food, a pharmacy, housewares, etc, all in one store. I found it very overwhelming to walk through the Super Target.

It was fun to see my old coworkers and my aunt and family who lives here, along with my mom who flew in for the weekend. Also it was interesting to have some time to observe and think about the differences between Italy and the States, but I am missing Paul and wanting to go home to Bologna!

No comments:

Post a Comment