Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Slow Food Bologna

It's funny that I am studying obesity prevention, and Bologna, where we live, is known as "Bologna la grassa," or Bologna the fat. It's also referred to as the food capital of Italy, which is perfect as I am more specifically interested in the protective effects of gastronomy in obesity prevention. I haven't noticed that people are particularly overweight here; they actually seem less overweight than people in LA. Afterall I am looking to Italy as a model. But the food is rich, and it would be easy to overdo it.


Can you eat classic Bolognese food regularly and not gain weight? I would argue "yes." Don't know if it is the 88 steps that lead to our apartment, the smaller portion sizes of many of the rich foods, the overall lack of processed foods as compared to the US, or the abundance of excellent fruits and vegetables in the markets, but both Paul and I are holding our own and even losing a little weight. Bologna has turned out to be the ideal place for us to live -- it is an epicenter of all things culinary and also an epicenter of the motorcycle industry.


Although I travel Verona to do research, there are many things to get involved with here in Bologna that relate to my project. The Slow Food Bologna group is very active and has been extremely welcoming. This is important to me because I have been volunteering with Slow Food LA as the Social Action Committee Chair, and I think that getting involved here in Bologna will help me learn more about the organization and give me more ideas for projects in the States. Here are a few photos of what I have been doing with Slow Food Bologna so far.


Each Saturday, Slow Food Bologna holds a farmer's market, called Mercato della Terra. I like shopping there because it has a very friendly feel to it. Here's Paul at the entrance.





One of the farmers who sells eggs likes to bring a few chickens to the market for everyone to meet. He is very friendly and was quick to invite us to visit him at his farm.








































The chapter also holds regular events in connection with the market. Over the last few weeks I attended two cooking classes in the kitchen of a community center adjacent to the market. The classes started in the late morning and began with a little shopping at the market to pick up the ingredients, followed by a couple hours of cooking, then a group lunch complete with wine made by market vendors. The first class was on biodynamic cooking and the second was on cooking with cherries, which are now in season and are incredible. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for the cherry class, but here are a few photos from the biodynamic lesson. We made couscous with seasonal vegetables, seitan with fresh herbs, and a clafoutis with strawberries.

























Through participating in the classes, I was able to get to know some of the members and the leader Laura, which has helped me to learn about what is going on in the area. One of the members, Lella, who is involved in setting-up community garden projects, offered to take me to a local elementary school where a teacher established a school garden. The kids were already out of session, but it was still fun to visit.











As one of their projects, the kids made a lettuce and herb garden using recycled water bottles. They were also growing hazelnuts--I had never seen a hazelnut tree before.



2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! Looking forward to more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Tanya! More soon...:)

    ReplyDelete